Saturday, July 5, 2008

Vacation Nightmare

Well, we made it back from vacation and overall had a fantastic time! However, I can officially say that I think I may have experienced the worst way to wake up while we were gone. Anyone who travels with kids will probably appreciate this one.

It was 12:30 am on our second to last night in the hotel. I had only been asleep for about 30 minutes when I am awakened by a strange sound - my husband! It was only strange because nothing EVER wakes him up, but he was up yelling at my 9 year old son, Dylan. Within seconds I realized that Dylan, who was still sound asleep, was choking on his own vomit. Yuck! I quickly ran over to his side of the bed and rolled him to his side and woke him up while my husband rolled back over and promptly fell back asleep. Not only had Dylan been choking on his vomit, but he had apparently been vomiting several times. It was everywhere! I picked him up and stood him in front of the toilet while I got the shower going. I walked out into the room and just stood there trying to figure out what my options were. My first instinct were to grab my younger son, Collin, who was still sleeping in the bed covered in vomit and run, but then I thought about the poor hotel workers. So...I got Dylan in the shower, moved Collin to the floor and then made my way to the hotel lobby in my pj 's, without makeup or a bra, without contacts, and with my hair up in a rats nest of a bun to ask for sheets, blankets, lots of towels, and several large trash bags. The guy working the desk was so relieved that I did not ask for his staff to come clean it that he gave me everything I needed and did so very promptly. After comlete linen changes, and two shoers for Dylan, we were all back in bed. (Collin and Chad never did wake up again)

I had just fallen back to sleep after my mind had thought about all of the possibilities as to why Dylan would have gotten sick, and what we would do if it was the stomach flu, etc.. when 2 hours later I wake up to Dylan crying. I jumped out of bed to rush over and check on him and find him laying on the floor crying because he had fallen out of bed and hit his head on the nightstand on the way down. It is now almost 3:00 am. Back to sleep.

Fortunately, Dylan was not sick and we enjoyed a wonderful 4th of July with family at the museum and them lighting fireworks and having a picnic! Hope everyone else had a great day as well.

No comments: