Monday, June 15, 2009

Romania update

This is part of an email sent to me from Chad when he first got to Romania. He is not sure that he will be able to blog, so I will try to keep everyone posted --



We left JFK at 6:30pm (eastern) and arrived in Bucharest at 10am (Romania time). We then piled in a car and drove for 2.5 hours and stopped for lunch. After lunch we drove for an additional 4 hours and finally arrived at the hotel Iris in Tarnaveni. I didn't sleep much on the plane, maybe 4 hours total. I slept for 1 hour on the drive. I am tired.


Okay, about the trip. We were met by two guys (can't remember their names) and they drove us. 1 was the rep for the mission organization. I rode with him. He is a really nice guy and speaks English (with an accent). We chatted about many things as we drove through the country. I estimated we drove about 200 miles so we had time to chat. Lunch was great. I had some sort of wiener schnitzel (not a hot dog) and liked it alright. Most of the group ordered a chicken with feta and stuff and it was awesome! Steak fries to boot. I can tell that the food will not be an issue for me. The country is gorgeous. We drove over the Carpathian Mtns and I could have just been dropped off with my camping gear and disappeared for several days. The town I am in is mostly rolling hills. It looks like what I imagine Ireland/Scotland to look like. The architecture is quite cool. The first thing I noticed were the cool roofs. The look SO...European! I am taking quite a few pics of the countryside. I can't do it justice with words.



The travel went flawlessly. I feel great (other than tired). I am looking forward to having the energy I need to explore and learn.

No comments: